At the Ref Desk (4/25/17): Someone calls but when I pick up the phone all I get is background noise -- people talking, etc. Did he or she just sit on their smartphone and dial out accidentally? Interesting jumping off point for a work of fiction... [more...]
Interesting photos from the historical photo blog, Calumet 415:
- Map of the area destroyed by the Great Fire, Chicago, c.1871
- The world’s first live “broadcast” via telephone on Michigan Ave, 1896, Chicago.
- The intersection of Clark, Broadway and Diversey, c.1905, Chicago.
- Clark, Diversey and Broadway, 1921, Chicago.
- A shanty town on Northerly Island, c.1930, Chicago.
- Looking south on Michigan Ave from Pearson, 1944, Chicago.
- A derailed ‘L’ car above Lake and Wells, 1974, Chicago.
Also, links to Ultralocal Geography (Chicago).